When one hears the term “landscaping,” colorful and vibrant plants come to mind. Balancing these pops of color with rich green lawns and rustic trees and shrubs makes for an attractive project. Using stonework in garden landscaping and outdoor living areas adds a distinctive texture and soft undertones in color, which can completely transform the look of your yard. Whether you are creating your perfect outdoor space from scratch or remodeling a previous landscaping job, stone adds beautiful color to your landscape and outdoor living space.
Stonework in Landscaping
Stonework can help create beautiful pathways, breathtaking breaks in your yard’s foliage, and add definition in a sea of green. Some examples of Landscape By Designs experts’ favorite stonework ideas for landscaping include:
Stone pathways divide your yard into various sections, helping to separate more delicate areas, such as a garden, from more hardy areas such as a play space for your kids. When connected to outdoor living spaces, such as outdoor living rooms, these paths provide a way for your guests to get from one section to another without walking on the grass.
Design Tips: Wondering what the best stonework is for your yard? Here are some design tips from our professional team!
- Gravel Pathways are perfect for gardens and they can come in a wide variety of colors. They add a classic and timeless feel to the garden and can easily be refreshed.
- Stone Mosaics can make your lawn or garden can be made using a variety of different stones, shapes, and sizes. Whether you are looking for a unique pattern, such as flower shape, or want something more natural, stone mosaics add an extra visual layer that is sure to make your yard or garden pop!
- Concrete Pavers are a low-cost option that not only boasts versatility in color but also provides safety by creating a flat and even surface. Concrete pavers are low maintenance, saving you time and energy.
- Rock Gardens
Rock gardens are one of the most underused but beautiful additions to any landscaping project. They help create a unique visual and are built to withstand the Texas heat and dry conditions of the summer. These gardens are created by using moderate-height plants alongside beautiful stones of varying shapes and sizes. Different plant options that our team loves in a plant garden include but are not limited to the following:
- Agaves: A dramatic-looking plant with prickly-edged leaves; ideal for gardeners looking for a way to save money on water, as they don’t need much and thrive in dry conditions.
- Sedums: A perennial plant that can add a beautiful splash of color to your rock garden.
- Drought-Tolerant Salvias: A member of the mint family, these plants are a nice ornamental addition to your rock garden.
Dry Creek Bed Gardens
Dry creek beds gardens are a unique addition to any landscape project because they transform when it rains, becoming a gorgeous water feature. The dry bed transforms into a stream as the water rolls over the smooth river rock. These dry creek beds also help redirect and spread out the absorption of water in your garden or yard. This prevents your landscape from flooding due to too much rain.
Do you have large slopes in your yard? A retaining wall is a gorgeous solution. These incredible landscape features create a terraced platform in which you can plant beautiful colorful plants, such as the vivid pinks, reds, and purples of autumn sage, (a Texas native plant). Combined with stone steps, you can really wow your neighbors, families, and guests, turning your landscape into a mini royal garden.
Stonework In Outdoor Living Spaces
Stonework can create a nice foundation or material for your outdoor living spaces. Use stone to create a prep-counter for your outdoor kitchen, stone flooring for your outdoor dining room, or a stone fire pit to add atmosphere. Stone is durable and creates a gorgeous place to come home and unwind.
Your Landscaping Experts
When it comes to creating your dream outdoor environment, Landscape By Design has your back. Our team is passionate about creating immaculate outdoor spaces, whether landscaping or outdoor living. Contact our team today for more information on our services or to schedule a consultation with our design team! We help bring your landscaping dreams to life!